- We received with shock and bewilderment the terrible news of the kidnap and attempted murder of our brother, Chief (Barrister) Ogbonnaya Amos, the immediate past Coordinator, Anuagata Development Centre in Ohaozara LGA of Ebonyi State.
- Chief Amos was reportedly kidnapped on May 13, 2021 right on our own soil, Okposi. Though unconfirmed reports say he has been released with multiple severe injuries which left him still battling between life and death, we view the whole act as dehumanizing, bizarre and a threat to unsettle the otherwise peace and tranquility that exist in our community.
- The incident, which has left every well-meaning son and daughter of Okposi community in shock, was made even worse when names identified as indigenes of Okposi are being bandied as among the perpetrators of the dastardly acts.
- We recall that not too long ago, another eminent son of our community, Elder Ihebunandu Okorie, who was also a former Coordinator of Okposi Development Centre, was similarly abducted in broad daylight from a church. Unfortunately he never made it back alive as he was murdered, and buried in a shallow grave.
- Once beaten, they say, twice shy. We do not want the sad incident of the past to repeat itself. Okposi Ezinasato will, therefore, not sit back and watch anybody, whether from our community, state, or anywhere, waste the life of any of our children in such a manner again.
- As a leading organization of Okposi Ezinasato leaders of thought, we condemn in the strongest possible terms the inhuman treatment meted to Chief Amos and the systematic attempts at eliminating our prominent ones under whatever guise. We can no longer fold our hands and watch while our beloved community is being gradually thrown into a state of anarchy by forces either within or outside our environment.
- We, therefore, call on the government, the security agencies, and our traditional rulers to immediately investigate and bring to book all persons involved either directly or indirectly in this barbaric act. As members of Okposi e-8, we shall not leave any stone unturned to ensure that peace, not anarchy, reigns supreme in our community.
Elder E.J Okorie, Esq (President)
Barr. Kenechukwu Agwu
Okposi e-8 is an umbrella organization of leaders of thought from Okposi, Ohaozara Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. Our membership is drawn from the entire Okposi Ezi n’Asato made up of three autonomous communities: Mgbom N’Achara, Okposi Okwu, and Okposi, which make up two Development Centres, Okposi and Anuagata.