By Ko Austine Fanen
It is exactly a year today since Comrade Vihimga Lawrence and his credible team of National Executive were elected and sworn into office to pilot the affairs of the Association for the next four years. Great Comrades of like minds and credible thoughts unified to conduct a transparent election that ushered in the serving Exco, thereby, rerouting the protracted crisis that hitherto engulfed the Association to a dead end.
Though with challenging factors ranging from court cases, factions, and the notorious pandemic which crippled the world globally, the new Exco under the leadership of Comrade Vihimga Lawrence delivered on the following key areas;
- Efficaciously organised a Reunion dinner for members of the Association.
2. Constitution of Members of Board of Trustee of the Association
- Registration of the Association with the Corporate Affairs Commission(CAC).
4. Secured Office accommodation for the Association on the University Campus.
- Diligently prosecuted and won 5 out of the numerous pending court cases against the Alumni Association
- Has united all factions together.
7. Full integration and Registration of BSU Alumni Association with the National Body of Conference of Alumni Associations of Nigerian University (CAANU)
- Inaugurated the Association’s Constitution Review Committee, work in progress.
- Inaugurated a committee for the revalidation/inauguration of Chapters/ Branches which will commence next year in February.
- As a member of the Governing Council, the National President has also positively contributed to the newly amended law establishing the Institution.
- Facilitated the unconditional release of some of the withheld results of Set 2017/2018.
- Created a harmonious working relationship between the Association and the Institution.
In line with item 7, members are expected to forward their input to the National Secretariat through the National Legal Adviser, who also doubles as the Chairman, Constitution Review Committee, Barrister Ajonye Ochegba Omale Mike via his phone number 0906 376 3011.
The President, therefore, urges all members to remain committed to the mission and vision of the Benue State University Alumni Association by actively participating in its programmes and activities. He enjoined members to always work in unity and shun acts cable of creating division amongst members in order to attract more blessings to the Association as witnessed in the recent historic conferment of the first Alumnus of the Institution, Barr. Douglas Pepe as Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and the nomination/Confirmation of the Current National Secretary of the Association, Comrade Pastor Ojotu Ojema JP as the Commissioner for Youths and Sports Development.
The National President on behalf of the National Executive and Board of Trustees of the Association, however, regrets its inability to hold congress this year due to the ongoing Constitution amendment. He, therefore, urged members to remain calm and redouble the confidence reposed in his leadership. Comrade Vihimga assures members of a befitting Congress as soon as the Constitution amendment/drafting committee is done with her report.
Once again compliments of the season
Thanks and God bless.
Ko Austine Fanen
National Publicity Secretary
BSU Alumni Association.