I received the news of painful death of Miss Vera Uwaila Omozuwa, a 22-year-old University of Benin undergraduate who was raped and murdered in a Redeemed Christian Church of God Parish, in Benin City, Edo State, a couple of days ago.
Yesterday I led delegation of student leaders to sympathize with the deceased family.
I also used the opportunity to assure Omozuwa’s parents of our collaboration with relevant authorities to ensure that the culprits are made to face the wrath of the law.
I therefore on behalf of our prestigious Association state as follows :
- NANS will no longer be in tolerance of any act of persons externally or within a Campus, that violates the sanctity of life of a Citizen or ends abruptly the life of any Student.
- the world is still in shock of uncouth law enforcement officers that terminated the life of George Floyd..We salute the will of Americans standing in Solidarity with the fafamily the lives of Blacks matters . Nigerian students worldwide stand in solidarity with the struggle for justice for Mr Floyd.
- Our women must be protected everywhere, whether as a girl child, Woman or Wife, No man anywhere should abet, aid or from their most saddestic illusion justify Rape. So we Condemn in the Strongest term any emotions or Anything that leads to Rape.
- I use this medium to extend the organization’s condolences to the deceased family and the university of Benin community and indeed Edo people over the loss. I pray that God almighty gives the family of the deceased, the university of Benin community and Edo people the fortitude to bear the loss.
- NANS under my watch is sincerely grieved and alarmed over the sad incident. As the global President of the apex students body of Nigerians I’m deeply concerned about the development as the deceased victim, Vera Uwaila Omozuwa, by virtue of her studentship was a member of NANS.
- Consequent I’m call on the Nigeria Police Force and other cognate law enforcement agencies in the country to speed up the investigation process on those behind the dastard act so as to bring them to book.
- I’m however pleased that the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has intervened on the issue by ordering that the case be transferred to Abuja for profound investigative coverage and possible prosecution of the culprits.
- On Tuesday, the President, Muhammadu Buhari weighed in and ordered speedy investigation on the part of the police in oder to ensure that justice prevails for Omozuwa. hence I’m impressed with the moves made so far by the government, both at the state and federal levels, and that of our law enforcement agencies as regards the incident.
- I also wish to use this opportunity to commend Nigerians from all walks of life, civil society groups, and distinguished individuals of various strata – who have demonstrated solidarity by condemning the act and by identifying with the deceased family in this trying time. NANS appreciates everyone!
- Notwithstanding the fact that the organization is pleased with the manner of intervention on the matter by law enforcement agencies so far, I wish to state categorically and unequivocally that NANS is completely dissatisfied with the current penalty for rapists in the purview of the country’s law, hence, demands a swift review in this regard.
- I’m therefore calling on the government, especially the legislative arm of government to as a matter of urgency enact a law with CAPITAL PUNISHMENT as penalty for rapists in the country. I believe in solemnity that with stringent and harsh penalties the prevalence of rape cases in the country would be mitigated to a very large extent.
- while we are yet to grapple with the sad reality of the demise of Uwa through rape I recieved the sad news of the death of Barakat Bello of the institute of Agriculture, Research and Training Ibadan another rape victim .
- I therefore implore and charge the Nigerian police force to deploy the vigour and seriousness in the case of Uwa in that of Barakat.
- Finally, I wish to strongly warn against incessant rape cases involving Nigerian students as victims, as they would no longer be condoned by NANS under my leadership henecewith. I would be inaugurating NANS anti-rape committees across campuses and the 36 states of the federation as a an approach from my office to aid the curb of the ungodly act of rape.
- Let me conclude by informing Nigerian students globally and concerned general public that I have been in touch with relevant authorities in ensuring that the investigation process of Omozuwa’s case is not swept under the carpet, and it is my promise not to be deterred until the culprits are brought to book.
JUSTICE FOR UWA IS JUSTICE FOR ALL!
Danielson Bamidele Akpan,
Global President NANS