A “complex and coordinated” weekend attack in Mali’s restive central region killed 42 soldiers, the country’s military government has said, sharply raising the earlier death toll of 17 soldiers.
The assault in the town of Tessit in the Gao region on Sunday was one of the deadliest in recent years for Mali’s security forces fighting armed groups in the region.
Authorities on Monday had said at least four civilians were also killed in the attack, which stood out for its sophistication. In its latest update on Wednesday, the government said 22 soldiers were also wounded, while 37 fighters had been killed.
“The Malian army units of Tessit … reacted vigorously to a complex and coordinated attack by armed terrorist groups, presumably from Islamic State in the Greater Sahara [ISGS], characterised by the use of drones, explosives, car bombs, and artillery,” it said in a statement read on by national broadcaster, ORTM.
The statement said reports of “clandestine, overflight operations, indicates unequivocally that the terrorists have received major support, including outside expertise”.
On Wednesday, authorities declared three days of national mourning.
Violence has persisted in Mali for a decade, with the crisis triggered in 2012 when ethnic Tuareg separatists took control of the country’s north. That rebellion was hijacked by armed groups which in recent years have taken advantage of a security vacuum in the country’s sprawling central region bordering Burkina Faso and Niger, with ISIL (ISIS) and al-Qaeda offshoots stoking communal tensions over dwindling resources as they jockey for power.
The fighting has killed thousands of people and forced more than two million civilians to flee their homes.
Mali’s military-led government, which effectively took power in a coup in 2020, is believed to control just 15 percent of the overall territory in the country.