By Raphael Jov, Abuja
In the last edition of the JAMBulletin, the publication had highlighted the use of SMA(R)T phone numbers as one of the series of COVID-19-Inspired Innovations put in place by the Board. The publication had also assured its teeming readers that it would continue to roll out a series of other innovations in due course.
In the current edition, JAMBulletin will be highlighting the Appointment Booking Platform which is yet another COVID-19-induced innovation aimed at ensuring that physical distancing, as a measure to curb the spread of the virus, is respected.
The platform would protect candidates, members of staff of the Board and other clients by ensuring that the number of clients to be attended to at the Board’s offices nationwide is not above the stipulated number as directed by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 and the National Centre for Disease Control( NCDC).
In this regard, the Board has structured the system in such a way that a candidate MUST secure an online appointment using the same SIM (Phone Number) used for UTME/DE registration by following the steps listed below:
• A candidate can secure an online appointment, by dialling *55019# using the same SIM (Phone Number) that was used in registering for UTME/DE. This is different from the result checker and other services which are activated by sending SMS to 55019.
• From the Drop-down MENU, a candidate selects STATE where he/she intends to access the required service.
• Under STATE, the candidate has to pick a centre.
• After picking a centre, date and time would be allotted to the candidate by SMS.
• A candidate is expected to be at the centre not earlier than five minutes of the allotted time and not later than the actual time allotted to him/her.
• Any candidate who is a minute late would be disqualified and he/she would have to secure a fresh appointment.
• The timing will be strictly adhered to as it is the only means to ensure that candidates do not congregate around the premises of the Board.
• To complete the process at the centre on the scheduled time and date, a candidate MUST come with his/her
SIM (Phone Number) placed in a functional phone and an ATM card in case he/she needs to pay for any service(s).
• If a candidate is required to make any payments at the centre, he/she must use an ATM card or go to the bank to make such payments. The Board is discouraging the use of POS for obvious COVID-19-related reasons. As such, only electronic payments can be made on the Board’s platform as cash payment is not allowed.