INTERNATIONALLIFESTYLE

AMDF condemns attack on South African Journalist, Paul Nthoba, Calls on authorities to protect him

By Lubem Gena

Africa Media Development Foundation (AMDF) is calling on South African Police Services to drop all charges against Paul Nthoba, a South African Journalist and tender an official apology for assaulting and causing physical harm to him.


AMDF also calls on South African authorities to ensure the safety of the journalist and his family from the possibility of future attacks.

The AMDF position was contained in a statement signed by the Programme Coordinator (Press Freedom) Joy Gadani posted on its website which was acceded by News Headquarter on Tuesday, 26th May.


Paul Nthoba is currently seeking refuge at the United Nations offices in Lesotho, following assault and intimidation by officers of the South African Police Services (SAPS) on May 15th while on duty.


The incident was reported to have occurred in the Free State province of South Africa while he was covering police patrol enforcing the COVID-19 lockdown in the area.


Reports revealed that the incident began when the journalist photographed police officers on patrol, and as he approached the officers for some conversation, immediately one of them attacked him with offensive statements, then suddenly another slapped him, while three others physically attacked by kicking him, saying he did not have their permission to photograph them.


After the incident, Nthoba went to the Ficksburg police station to lay a charge, but instead of being assisted by the police, he faced further abuse, and the same officers who had previously abused him arrived the station and prevented him from opening a case.


The journalist told the South African National Editors Forum (SANEF) that after the incident, he noticed strange movements by the police patrol around his house, which caused him to flee his home with his family for safety.


Further reports say, the journalist was charged with obstructing law enforcement under a COVID-19 regulation of the Disaster Management Act of 2002, and If convicted under that law, Nthoba could face fine and up to six months in prison.
Executive Director of AMDF, Iliya Kure, says, “there has been increasing cases of attacks on journalists in Africa since emergence of COVID-19, mainly by law enforcement officers, a set of people that should ordinarily protect the journalists and citizens.

“We condemn every form of attack on journalists under whatever guise. They should be allowed to carry out their legitimate duties as stipulated by the laws.

“We call on South African authorities to call the Police to order and ensure the safety of the journalist and his family from possible future attacks,” he said.

About author

Articles

A prolific writer of about two decades standing experience
Related posts
LIFESTYLEPOLITICS

JAMB appoint Rep. Salam as member of 2021 UTME monitoring group

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, has appointed the member representing Ede North…
Read more
LIFESTYLEPOLITICS

I see Aper Aku in Ortom- Sule Iyaji

By Jimin Geoffrey Former Deputy Governor to late Aper Aku of Benue State, Alhaji Sule Iyaji says…
Read more
LIFESTYLE

Kaunda Zambia's ex-President is dead

Kenneth Kaunda, Zambia’s founding president and liberation hero, has died at a military hospital…
Read more
Newsletter
Get latest news update now

Sign up for News headquarters Daily Digest and get trending updates tailored for you now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.